Bad Date List Coordinator
15-20 hours per week @ $20 per hour
The “Bad Date List” is a community based violence prevention & intervention tool utilized by and for the sex worker community to identify perpetrators of violence or harm and warn/notify the community so that future violence/harm can be prevented. Models of the “Bad Date List” exist across the world, and have demonstrated to be an effective way of preventing harm among communities often targeted for such. The St. James Infirmary seeks a staff member to sustain and expand our Bad Date List in three forms- a paper-based reporting system accessible to people without access to technology, an online wordpress site, and a first of its kind web or text based application so that persons with the technology to utilize it may be able to receive real-time alerts of potential violence or harm. The List will be available in multiple languages and will also include a mechanism for reporting bad encounters with Law Enforcement. The Bad Date List app will be developed with broad community input, and a key responsibility of this position will be to seek and gather input from a diverse community of sex workers.
- Collect Bad Date Reports and administer Bad Date List on an ongoing basis, ensuring that new reports are published promptly in all appropriate avenues and that Bad Date Reports are safely accessible to a broad range of sex workers.
- Oversee development of Bad Date List application with broad input from sex worker community, legal experts and tech support.
- Work with CBOs and community partners to make Bad Date Reports available in as many appropriate venues as possible. Coordinate the retrieval/pick up of all new reports from CBOs and community partners.
- Train CBOs and community partners on the use and purpose of the List so that they may assist persons who wish to make a report in doing so.
- Work with Outreach Team to distribute Bad Date List to sex workers during street & venue based outreach shifts.
- Whenever possible, connect individuals making Bad Date Reports to support services according to their needs. Support peer advocates and peer counselors in connecting individuals making Bad Date Reports to legal, social, and support services. Ensure individuals making reports are supported in getting the services they need.
- Complete Quarterly Program Reports to the ED and DOSW by the established deadlines.
- Assistance with evaluation activities including developing survey tools, gathering statistics, developing and printing outreach reports (monthly/annual), and providing programmatic support during monitoring periods.
- Co-coordinates and/or participates in public speaking engagements and conferences, as available.
- Completes/maintains required training programs, and attends weekly Coordinators meetings, monthly agency support meetings and other required agency trainings.
- Attends supervision sessions as needed or requested.
- Provides administrative assistance when necessary-answers phone and leave messages for appropriate staff during business hours.
- Mails and/or drops off fliers, resource guides, volunteer applications, etc. to individuals and/or agencies that make requests during program activities.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- General office and administrative experience
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility with schedule and activities
- Organized and able to handle a multi task environment
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and other computer skills are desirable
- Experience in or knowledge of the sex industry and occupational health and safety issues affecting Sex Workers
- Experience working with people who use substances, including injection drugs
- Experience working with people living with or affected by HIV/AIDS
- Cultural humility with people of different races, ethnicities, genders, sexualities and abilities
- Willingness and proven ability to work cooperatively with other colleagues and community members
- Knowledge of/proficiency in mobile technologies
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience in program development, community organizing & facilitation
- Experience in violence prevention/intervention, trauma & de-escalation
- Bilingual/multilingual English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai desired
- Counseling & Outreach experience
- Experience supervising & managing a team of staff or volunteers
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS 5PM AUGUST 19TH.
Applicants must submit ALL required documents or you will NOT be considered.
Submit a cover letter that includes your experience working either within the Sex Industry or working with the sex worker community. In addition you must submit a job application and CV or Resume. Download the Application from our website.
Mail CV/Resume and volunteer application to: Attention Executive Director, St. James Infirmary 234 Eddy Street, San Francisco CA 94102
email to email@example.com