HIV Services Health & Outreach Worker
10-15 hours per week @ $18.50 per hour
The HIV Services Health & Outreach Worker helps to disseminate information about the HIV services of the SJI and to recruit eligible participants into HIV testing and linkage to care. The HIV Services Health & Outreach Worker reports directly to the HIV Services Manager and is a member of the HIV Prevention Team, funded by the CDC.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs HIV/STD prevention & education including safer sex and safer injection drug use education to sex workers and those participating in street based economies within in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Distributes safer sex and harm reduction materials to current and former sex workers in street & venue-based settings
- Co-facilitates safer sex demonstrations and health education sessions under the supervision of the HIV Services Manager
- Represents St James as an agency in trainings and in-services to organizations and the public to provide education about who we are and the services we provide, and to collaborate on trainings to increase cultural humility for providers working with sex workers and transgender people
- Disperses and helps complete outreach questionnaires and conducts needs assessments and focus group activities with sex workers.
- Maintains accurate and complete field notes and logs including number and type of contacts made, demographic information about the client, materials distributed, health education or group sessions conducted and number of participants
- Participates in In-service trainings at community based organizations, academic and educational institutions, government agencies, conferences and workshops, in collaboration with the HIV Services Manager and Community Engagement Manager
- Serves as a liaison to other community organizations and the target populations
- Attend monthly team meetings, scheduled staff meetings and applicable staff trainings.
- Attend supervision sessions with HIV Services Manager as needed/requested, and prepare agenda (informal)
- Will perform other duties as requested.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities (on As Needed Basis):
- Build rapport with participants, conduct HIV and STD testing, perform external testing controls, risk assessments, disclosure sessions, and individual risk reduction counseling sessions at weekly clinics and during venue-based counseling and testing sessions.
- Document all information collected during sessions with participants onto required forms.
- Work with Linkage to Care Navigator to assess treatment readiness and referrals for newly HIV-positive participants and HIV-positive individuals who are out of care.
- Complete, if necessary, all incident reports incurred during counseling sessions.
- Complete/maintain required training programs (California Rapid HIV and Hepatitis C Testing Certification, Peer Counseling, STD Counseling, CET’s).
- Assistance with quality assurance and evaluation activities including providing programmatic support during clinic shifts and monitoring periods, and distributing and collecting satisfaction surveys.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience in or knowledge of the sex industry and occupational health and safety issues affecting Sex Workers
- Experience working with people who use drugs, including injection drugs; those living with or affected by HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C; street-based and homeless populations; and people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer
- Cultural competency and willingness to work with people of different racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual identity and orientations, and people living with HIV/AIDS and/or Hepatitis C
- Experience with counseling and testing services desired
- Experience with motivational interviewing, harm reduction, and trauma-informed care desired
- Willingness and proven ability to work cooperatively with other colleagues and community
- General office and administrative experience
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility with schedule and activities
- Organized and able to handle a multi task environment
- Microsoft Word, Excel and other computer skills are desirable
- Spanish and/or other non-English secondary language skills desired
Deadline to apply is May 8th, 2017 at 5pm.
Applicants must submit ALL required documents or you will NOT be considered.
Submit a cover letter that includes your experience working either within the Sex Industry or working with the sex worker community. In addition you must submit a job application and CV or Resume. Download the Application from our website.
Mail CV/Resume and volunteer application to: Attention HIV Services Manager, St. James Infirmary 234 Eddy Street, San Francisco CA 94102
email to email@example.com