St. James Infirmary is a peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers and their families. We exist to provide free, compassionate, and non-judgmental healthcare and social services for Sex Workers (current or former) of all genders and sexual orientations while preventing occupational illnesses and injuries through a comprehensive continuum of services.
What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
St James Infirmary’s Community Holiday Party & Celebration of Sex Worker Resilience! Monday, December 17th 5-7pm at 730 Polk Street, near Ellis 4th Floor in the Audre Lorde Room SF Join us as we celebrate another year of sex workers’ strength, survival, community and resistance. Food, non-alcoholic beverages, music, gifts and sex worker community! December […]Read More
In light of their recent relocation into new facilities at 730 Polk Street, which they will share with the San Francisco Community Health Center (SFCHC), St. James Infirmary is proud to invite the community to its inaugural open house celebration at the end of the month. For nearly twenty years, St. James has been a […]Read More
SJI Board of Directors approved SJI advisory board last night. SJI Advisory Board formed and will be led by SJI Founder/Executive Director Johanna Breyer. PURPOSE: The St. James Infirmary Advisory Board is created as a standing committee for the purpose of working with the Board of Directors and Executive Management Team. The purpose of this Board shall be […]Read More
If you accessed HIV testing services through St. James Infirmary’s mobile testing van between July 3, 2018 and July 16, 2018
If you accessed HIV testing services through St. James Infirmary’s mobile testing van between July 3, 2018 and July 16, 2018, PLEASE CLICK HERERead More
As the nation’s only peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers, The St. James Infirmary opposes the decision of the IAC to host the 2020 International AIDS Conference in the San Francisco Bay Area. Due to our current administration’s harsh immigration policies, obtaining visas to attend this conference will be impossible for many […]Read More
TRADIN’ FLAVOR 470 Castro Street TUESDAY, SEPT 11 6pm-8:30pm Every 2nd Tuesday of the month @ STRUT (3rd Floor)
St. James Infirmary and Strut are partnering to bring the flagship peer-run clinic program for masc-spectrum sex workers to the Castro. Drop-in services include: – priority STI screening and treatment – HIV testing & linkage to care – PrEP enrollment – peer counseling – acupuncture – food! – a place to chill out All services are free. Rentboys, escorts, massage workers, […]Read More
St. James Infirmary To Move To Its New Location At San Francisco Community Health Center in November 2018
St. James Infirmary To Move To Its New Location At San Francisco Community Health Center San Francisco, CA – St. James Infirmary will re-locate its offices to San Francisco Community Health Center (SFCHC) by the beginning of November 2018. This move for St. James Infirmary into the historic 726/730 Polk Street building marks a new […]Read More
St. James Infirmary will be operating a Juice booth at Up Your Alley Street Fair 2018 SUNDAY, July 29, 2018, FROM 11:00 AM TO 6:00 PM Folsom Street Between 9th & 10th and Between Harrison & Howard We will need volunteers to help run the booth, Please email email@example.com to sign up and be a […]Read More