Mental Health and Peer Counseling
Every week our team of peer counselors is available for drop-in counseling sessions at
our flagship Wednesday night clinic from 6-9pm. Each counselor has lived experience
they bring to create a safe place to get non-judgmental support. Our STRIDE
Transgender Health Program on Thursdays 1-4pm offers peer counseling for people of
trans experience and care navigation forpeople seeking gender-affirming surgery.
St James Infirmary offers 20 sessions of weekly trauma-informed, culturally sensitive psychotherapy for individuals. Our therapists each bring their own unique style to the sessions and prioritize respect, compassion, and confidentiality. Our mental health providers are licensed and associate therapists offer specialized care in the following areas:
- Issues facing transgender, non-binary, and non-conforming people, including pre-surgical assessments for gender affirming surgery
- Queer, Lesbian, Bisexual, Pansexual, Asexual, and Gay identities
- Issues facing current and former sex workers
- Relationship issues including expertise in kink and poly identities as well as issues of sexuality
- Harm reduction for substance use and other high-risk behaviors
- personality disorders
- Understanding of HIV+/AIDS and the impact on mental health wellness
- Issues of systemic and racialized oppression
- Depression, anxiety, and PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Serious and chronic mental health issues related to psychosis, bipolar disorder and
Clinical Case Management
Clinical Case Management offers long-term support for individuals facing systemic injustice
such as houselessness, incarceration, poverty, or lack of access to basic needs who also want therapy. Case management takes place in our offices as well as in the community where you are. Its ideal for people who struggle to remember appointments or have a hard time coming into the office because of anxiety and trauma. All of our therapy specialties are also available in
our Case Management program. Case Management sessions take place weekly for as long as it takes for you to reach your goals and are provided by a licensed or associate therapist.
Support Groups are offered periodically and have included topics such as Self Care for Sex Workers, Trauma-Informed Yoga, Seeking Safety, D-SINE Fashion Group, Mujeres Latinas en Acción: a Spanish-language weekly support, social, and activism group for Trans Latinas, and many more. Stay tuned to our monthly calendar or call our clinic to find out what groups are
Due to high demand for services, we frequently keep a wait list for new appointments and are happy to provide referrals if you are eager to get started. We do not bill insurance and all of our services are 100% free of cost.
Please call 415-554-8494 or attend our Wednesday Night Drop-In Clinic from 6-9pm to complete a brief mental health screening to determine eligibility and be enrolled in our program.