What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
St. James Infirmary publishes the 3rd Edition of our Sex Worker Occupational Health & Safety Handbook
The St. James Infirmary “Occupational Health and Safety Handbook, 3rd edition” is hot off the presses and better than ever! The first half of the book is devoted to harm reduction, health, safety and legal rights, and the second half has information for 720 local, national and international resources relevant to the lives of sex […]Read More
Macklean from Uganda of the UNAIDS Global Working Group on Sex Work & HIV from Naomi Akers on Vimeo. In October 2009, the St. James Infirmary Executive Director was appointed to a Global Working Group on Sex Work and HIV Policy to UNAIDS. With its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Programme […]Read More
Come volunteer your time in one of the largest San Francisco events and raise money for your favorite Hooker Clinic. Our Clinic gets CA$H for every volunteer who works one of the fabulous gate shifts at Pink Saturday. And you get a free Sister’s Shirts. Pink Saturday in the Castro on June 26th, 2010 by […]Read More
St. James Infirmary Scholarships for 4th Desiree Alliance Conference: Working Sex: Power, Practice, and Politics July 25-30, 2010 Las Vegas, NV What: This year St. James Infirmary will be giving out full and partial scholarships to attend the Desiree Alliance Conference in Las Vegas July 25-30. Full scholarships include hotel, flight and registration, some ground […]Read More
Super-sexy hooker gear, shipped direct to you! St. James Infirmary tees and undies make the perfect gift for any occasion or trouble you want to cause. Wear them in health: Logo Girly Tee Logo Basic Tee Logo Girly Tank Logo Boyshorts Logo Thong New Logo Tee, Camisole, & Muscle Tank “Outlaw Poverty, Not Prostitutes” Tee, […]Read More
You can help the St. James Infirmary & Hooker Healthcare by sporting one of our fabulous designs on our cool tops and bottoms for any and all genders. We have stylized our agency logo to a sleeker look. So check out our store today. We still have our classic agency logo on a few shirts […]Read More