St. James Infirmary is a peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers and their families. We exist to provide free, compassionate, and non-judgmental healthcare and social services for Sex Workers (current or former) of all genders and sexual orientations while preventing occupational illnesses and injuries through a comprehensive continuum of services.
What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
Join legendary Sex Worker rights activist and St. James Infirmary Founder Margo St. James along with the dynamic staff of the first Occupational Health & Safety Clinic for Sex Workers at our very first Open House Party. There will be food & wine, random door-prizes and a 50/50 raffle. WHEN: Friday September 19th, 5:30pm – […]Read More
We are looking for people to help out St. James Infirmary and volunteer for a shift at Folsom Street Fair September 28, 2008!!! For St. James supporters with a darker dirtier side, this should be a perfect event for you to give of yourself and express your kinkier sides! For more information on how you […]Read More
This year St. James Infirmary is partnering as a major beneficiary of the Folsom Street Fair Events and will receive a grant of $9,000 grant. This money will be used to expand our under-funded Transgender Health Services Program. This program is currently at capacity, however this new money will allow us to enroll new participants […]Read More
St. James is raising money for the clinic and the AIDS Walk. In 2007, 25,000 walkers raised a record-breaking $4.6 million to help the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and 42 other Bay Area organizations fight AIDS. This year, we have a wonderful team, the Hos of Harm Reduction, and we would love to have your […]Read More