St. James Infirmary is a peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers of all genders.
It is our mission to meet the needs of people engaged in the sex trade through advocacy, direct services, and social justice.
St. James Infirmary's 20th Year Anniversary Gala was a huge success. St. James Infirmary raised over $150,000. The biggest fundraiser in their 20 year history.
What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
The 3rd of March is International Sex Worker Rights Day. The day originated in 2001 when over 25,000 sex workers gathered in India for a sex worker festival. The organizers, Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee, a Calcutta based group whose membership consists of somewhere upwards of 50,000 sex workers and members of their communities. Sex worker […]Read More
A FUN AND SEXY FUNDRAISER FOR ST. JAMES INFIRMARY at CAFÉ FLORE on SATURDAY 21st from 8 to 11 pm. Please save the date and bring your friends. Hosted by Garza and co-host by Sister Gladys Pantzaroff, sponsored by BUMP from the San Francisco Department of Public Health With: BEBE SWEETBRIAR, PAJU MUNRO, SASHA SOPRANO, […]Read More
“Red Light District” presents: “All You Need is Love” Saturday the 14th of February in Revelation 9999999 $5-20 ATA – 992 Valencia @ 21st 4pm – 12am Featuring: Verbobala (Tucson/Mexico), Jeff Stroker, and Miss Bix Jordan plus the Is What!? peepshow if weather is fair…. V-Day at ATA with Crazy amount of LOVE & LIGHT […]Read More
Tired of waiting around to get seen only to be told to come back next week? Can’t take precious time away from the job in a downturn economy? Need a pap-smear, but you’ve been putting if off for way too long? Well, we know what it’s like and have a solution. In addition to hiring […]Read More
Beginning Wednesday January 28th, 2009 we will be offering some appointment slots for medical services during our drop-in clinic on Wednesday nights. Appointment times are 7:30pm, 8:00pm & 8:30 pm. To make an appointment please call 415-554-9634. Beginning Thursday February 5th, 2009 we will also be offering appointments for our new Thursday Afternoon Transgender clinic […]Read More
We are looking for a part-time Registration Assistant and two On-call Registration Assistants who can assist with the registration process and the medical eligibility verification and enrollment. While experience with patient registration and billing is a plus it is not required for these positions. We are also looking to hire a part-time NEX worker for […]Read More