St. James Infirmary is a peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers of all genders.
It is our mission to meet the needs of people engaged in the sex trade through advocacy, direct services, and social justice.
St. James Infirmary's 20th Year Anniversary Gala was a huge success. St. James Infirmary raised over $150,000. The biggest fundraiser in their 20 year history.
What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
Monday Dec. 8 tradeOFF kicks off a series of trainings and workshops meant to collectively share and build our hooker-skills. We’ll kick it off with an amazing erotic massage training from the wondrous and beloved Reiki Master Dhamiboo. No prior skills or experience necessary! Free food! As always, 5-6:30pm at St. James. Check out our […]Read More
On December 17th, we will be hosting a gathering in San Francisco at the Hall of Justice to be followed with a peaceful walk to the Center for Sex & Culture, where there will be a vigil for our community affected by violence. Please join us in planning this event or at the event itself. […]Read More
On Wednesday November 26th at 6:30pm we will be hosting our End of the Year Holiday Party with Vegan/Meat Diner & Special Holiday Gift Bags. This holiday party is open to community members/clinic participants, staff and their families or guests only. There will be NO HIV or STI Testing on Tuesday Nov. 25th and NO […]Read More
Beginning Monday, September 29th, we are hosting a group for male-identified sex workers to chat, share the tricks of the trade, build community and support one another. Let’s discuss the real issues- drugs, sex, cops, self-care, etc. Wanna become a massage pro or create that ad that gets the calls? Let’s share our skills! This […]Read More
This November, San Francisco voters can decriminalize prostitution in our City by voting Yes on Proposition K. St. James Infirmary is against the criminalizing of sex workers for their profession. Regardless of how sex workers got to their current job, being criminalized is a social injustice with serious public health consequences. Police and prosecutors say […]Read More
Join legendary Sex Worker rights activist and St. James Infirmary Founder Margo St. James along with the dynamic staff of the first Occupational Health & Safety Clinic for Sex Workers at our very first Open House Party. There will be food & wine, random door-prizes and a 50/50 raffle. WHEN: Friday September 19th, 5:30pm – […]Read More
We are looking for people to help out St. James Infirmary and volunteer for a shift at Folsom Street Fair September 28, 2008!!! For St. James supporters with a darker dirtier side, this should be a perfect event for you to give of yourself and express your kinkier sides! For more information on how you […]Read More
This year St. James Infirmary is partnering as a major beneficiary of the Folsom Street Fair Events and will receive a grant of $9,000 grant. This money will be used to expand our under-funded Transgender Health Services Program. This program is currently at capacity, however this new money will allow us to enroll new participants […]Read More
St. James is raising money for the clinic and the AIDS Walk. In 2007, 25,000 walkers raised a record-breaking $4.6 million to help the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and 42 other Bay Area organizations fight AIDS. This year, we have a wonderful team, the Hos of Harm Reduction, and we would love to have your […]Read More