St. James Infirmary is a peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers and their families. We exist to provide free, compassionate, and non-judgmental healthcare and social services for Sex Workers (current or former) of all genders and sexual orientations while preventing occupational illnesses and injuries through a comprehensive continuum of services.
What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
On behalf of the Board of Directors and Executive Management Team, we would like to thank our “Million Dollar Baby” for her incredible leadership over the past 4 years. In October, our beloved Stephany Ashley will be stepping down as Executive Director and joining the Board of Directors. Stephany has worked with SJI for 11 […]Read More
You may have heard the news- we’ve moved!!! Our new address is 234 Eddy Street, between Jones and Taylor- two blocks from the Powell Street BART Station. If you’d like a clinic staff member or volunteer to meet you at the BART station and escort you to your appointment, you can leave us a message letting […]Read More
Dear friends, family & supporters of the St. James Infirmary, It is with a heavy but determined heart that I write to tell you we are losing our clinic space at 1372 Mission Street in the very near future. The building which has housed the SJI, and recently our comrades at the TGIJP, is being […]Read More
San Francisco AIDS Foundation to Expand PrEP Availability, Benefits Navigation; Glide and St. James Infirmary to Double HIV Testing Efforts Introducing the SJI’s High Impact HIV Prevention Team: Juba Kalamka, Dee Michel, Aria Sa’id, Mayra Lopez & Natalia García SAN FRANCISCO, August 11, 2015—The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has granted San […]Read More
On Saturday June 13th it’s a Double Birthday Party for St. James Infirmary & Stephany Ashley (SJI’s ED). Live bands, DJs, food, drink and debauchery, with all funds going to support free healthcare and social services for Bay Area sex workers! Who: St. James Infirmary and all our fans and family! What: A Birthday Party […]Read More
JOB POSTING HIV SERVICES MANAGER 32-40 hours per week at $23 per hour The St. James Infirmary is hiring an HIV Services Manager to oversee our HIV Prevention Programming. St. James currently has a contract with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to provide HIV testing, counseling and linkage services to high risk HIV negative […]Read More