What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
Dear friends, family & supporters of the St. James Infirmary, It is with a heavy but determined heart that I write to tell you we are losing our clinic space at 1372 Mission Street in the very near future. The building which has housed the SJI, and recently our comrades at the TGIJP, is being […]Read More
San Francisco AIDS Foundation to Expand PrEP Availability, Benefits Navigation; Glide and St. James Infirmary to Double HIV Testing Efforts Introducing the SJI’s High Impact HIV Prevention Team: Juba Kalamka, Dee Michel, Aria Sa’id, Mayra Lopez & Natalia García SAN FRANCISCO, August 11, 2015—The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has granted San […]Read More
On Saturday June 13th it’s a Double Birthday Party for St. James Infirmary & Stephany Ashley (SJI’s ED). Live bands, DJs, food, drink and debauchery, with all funds going to support free healthcare and social services for Bay Area sex workers! Who: St. James Infirmary and all our fans and family! What: A Birthday Party […]Read More
JOB POSTING HIV SERVICES MANAGER 32-40 hours per week at $23 per hour The St. James Infirmary is hiring an HIV Services Manager to oversee our HIV Prevention Programming. St. James currently has a contract with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to provide HIV testing, counseling and linkage services to high risk HIV negative […]Read More
The St. James Infirmary’s Annual Holiday Party will be Thursday, December 18th from 6-8pm! We invite staff, volunteers & community members of the SJI, as well as their friends and family, to join us for dinner and holiday cheer in the community room at 1372 Mission Street. After the Holiday Party, we will be having a […]Read More
It is with great excitement that we announce that the SJI has been awarded two new contracts from Community Behavioral Health Services to provide comprehensive mental health and substance use services to our community. Beginning this week, current and former sex workers may come to St. James to receive individual therapy and case management with […]Read More
Thank you to the readers of the San Francisco Bay Guardian for Voting us Best Nonprofit in the Bay! We are honored and humbled by the love and support. Here’s a throwback to 2003, when we won “Best Place to Find Sex Worker Community”Read More
The St. James Infirmary 15 Year Report is now available on line. You can download the pdf version below. xv-report-spreads-final xv-report-pages-final XV was a BLAST!! We raised over $27,000!! Thank you to all our fabulous donors, volunteers, performers and supporters who came out to make our 15 Year Anniversary a HUGE success!! Thanks to Dave, […]Read More