St. James Infirmary is a peer-based occupational health and safety clinic for sex workers and their families. We exist to provide free, compassionate, and non-judgmental healthcare and social services for Sex Workers (current or former) of all genders and sexual orientations while preventing occupational illnesses and injuries through a comprehensive continuum of services.
What We Believe
There are many factors which affect the working conditions and experiences for all Sex Workers including the political and economic climate, poverty and homelessness, stigmatization, violence, as well as the overwhelming intricacies of the legal, public and social systems. It is the philosophy of St. James Infirmary to build upon existing skills and strengths in order to allow individuals to determine their own goals.
- We are fundamentally against the criminalizing of Sex Workers—regardless of our different perspectives on decriminalization or legalization, the collective view of the St. James Infirmary is that incarceration of our community further marginalizes and disenfranchised us, which creates barriers to capacity building, and exacerbates a public health crisis.
- We believe in revolution through healthcare. We challenge the conventional healthcare model that divides patients and providers and fosters unhealthy power dynamics. Our peer-based model creates a safe, trusted, and honest environment in which to provide services, and empowers our community to define our own well-being.
- We are founded on the principles of harm reduction—St. James Infirmary supports Sex Workers being treated with dignity and respect, in every aspect of their lives
- We increase access to primary healthcare and social services for Sex Workers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We formalize communication and collaboration among individuals and agencies who serve Sex Workers to better serve our community.
- We promote peer-based public health initiatives on behalf of Sex Workers, which may be used as a model for improving occupational health and safety standards and developing comprehensive medical and social services for Sex Workers around the world.
From Our Blog
Thank you to the readers of the San Francisco Bay Guardian for Voting us Best Nonprofit in the Bay! We are honored and humbled by the love and support. Here’s a throwback to 2003, when we won “Best Place to Find Sex Worker Community”Read More
The St. James Infirmary 15 Year Report is now available on line. You can download the pdf version below. xv-report-spreads-final xv-report-pages-final XV was a BLAST!! We raised over $27,000!! Thank you to all our fabulous donors, volunteers, performers and supporters who came out to make our 15 Year Anniversary a HUGE success!! Thanks to Dave, […]Read More
St. James Infirmary Presents: XV Dirty Dance Party Fundraiser! Celebrating our 15 Year Anniversary Thursday, June 5th, 2014 9pm-3am Temple Nightclub 540 Howard St., San Francisco St. James Infirmary is the first occupational safety and health clinic for sex workers in the United States – providing free, confidential, nonjudgmental medical and social services for […]Read More
Created by staff and participants of the SJI’s STRIDE Program, the 2014 STRIDE Zine provides basic information about our hormone clinic, safer injection tips, legal resources, new surgery guidelines for California, and recommended reading for the savvy trans sex worker! Download your copy here!Read More
On Thursday, June 5th from 9pm – 3am SJI will be raising cash and partying like hookers at Temple Night Club. Dance all night on the main floor upstairs, get kinky in the dungeon, and get hot & bothered in the VIP room with lap dancing, table dancing and other temptations. Performers needed (all genders please!) […]Read More
Free Movie! Free Pizza! Free Condoms! Help us spread the love to sex workers in time for Valentine’s Day! St. James Infirmary gives out safer sex supplies to over 2,000 sex workers in the Bay Area every year, but we need YOUR help to make it happen! Come get a tour of the clinic, hear […]Read More
Sign Up Today! * required Email Address: * First Name: Last Name: Email & Social Media Marketing by VerticalResponseRead More
Happy Holidays to our community. We have been so grateful to have so many generous supporters and allies over the years. As we approach 2014, we wanted to say thank you for your support. As always, we are actively seeking donations. Please consider donating to us before the end of 2013. You can mail us […]Read More
Please join St. James Infirmary staff and family for a holiday dinner from Lefty O’Douls and Souley Vegan. We will be having all the comfort foods that make for an awesome holiday party. After dinner, we will be passing out our annual holiday gift bags of gloves, hats, scarves and socks to keep our folks […]Read More
Tuesday December 17th is the 11th annual International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers. There will be a vigil at Center for Sex and Culture across the street from the clinic from 6pm-9pm. The event is hosted by SWOP and will feature speakers, snacks and community. We welcome any food or drinks you would […]Read More